Street Light Program

The City of Ellisville contracts with Ameren UE for the operation and maintenance of street lights located on public rights-of-way and public property owned by the city.

If Your Street Light Is Out

If you have a street light that is out, you may contact the city at (636) 227-9660 or call Ameren UE directly at (314) 342-1000 to request repair of the street light. To improve service when making a request, please look near the top of the pole for the letters "EV" followed by the street light number. Providing this identification number along with the closest street name and address will help identify the correct street light. Once you contact the city, the city will file a report with Ameren UE to repair the street light. Schedules for repair of street lights are determined by Ameren UE.

Requesting maintenance of a New Subdivision's Street Lights

If you are in a new subdivision within the city, your trustees may request the city take over operation and maintenance costs of the street lights. The street lights will need to be located on public rights-of-way in the subdivision. The subdivision must be completed and accepted by the city for public maintenance before this may be occur. A request may be made in writing to the Engineering Division. Staff will determine if the street lights meet the requirements for city subsidy of operating and maintenance costs. If so, a recommendation for acceptance will be made to the City Council. The process normally takes several months.

Requesting a Light in an Existing Subdivision

Residents interested in having a street light installed near their home may contact the Engineering Division for assistance. The staff will review requests for street lights on city maintained public rights-of-way throughout the city. If a request meets the minimum requirements, a street light petition will be provided listing those residents that would be impacted by a new street light. The requesting resident will need to gather the signatures of support from all of the residents on the petition. Once the completed petition is received, the city will work with Ameren UE to identify the most practical location for the new street light.

While not always the case, some new street lights require residents to grant easements to Ameren UE to install and operate the street light. If it is possible to install the requested street light, a recommendation will be made to the City Council to approve installation of the street light. The cost of installation along with future operating and maintenance costs will be paid by the city. The length of time for installation of a new street light will vary upon the location, submission of the petition and Ameren UE scheduling. Normally this process may take 6 months.

Streetlight Program Explained

Who pays for my streetlight?
The city contracts with our electric power provider Ameren for the installation, operation and maintenance of many of the streetlights on public rights-of-way and public property throughout the city. To see if your streetlight is maintained by the city you may contact us or look for the streetlight identification marking on the light pole. If the light is maintained by the city it will have an identifying marking on the light pole beginning with "EV" followed by numerals. This identifying marking is important to have when requesting service. Read our Streetlight Program Brochure (PDF).