Occupancy Inspections

Building Occupancy Inspections

Prior to a change of occupancy and/or ownership, all properties in the City of Ellisville must have an occupancy inspection performed by the Building Inspector. If you are selling your home, you must have the residence inspected prior to the new owner taking possession.

Inspection Fee

The cost of the inspection is $60 for the first 1,500 square feet of living area on the main floor of the residence, and $4 for each additional 100 square feet of living area on the 2nd level or on the lower level, if the basement is finished. This fee covers an initial inspection and a follow-up inspection, if necessary.

In the event a structure is occupied by the new owner/tenant prior to completing an occupancy inspection, a charge of double the normal fee shall be paid.

You must come to the City Hall to make your payment and to schedule an inspection. We recommend that you schedule your inspection 5-6 weeks prior to the new owner taking occupancy and possession of the subject residence.

Fire Inspection

Be sure to also contact Metro West Fire District for an occupancy inspection. Metro West Fire District is located at 17065 Manchester Road and they can be reached by phone at 636-458-2100, or by fax at 636-458-2199.

Certificate of Compliance

Once the residence is inspected and found to be in compliance with the adopted codes, the Building Official will sign a Certificate of Compliance. The city will retain a copy of the Certificate of Compliance on file, which will be used to verify the inspection was completed when the new occupant comes in to City Hall to obtain his/her Occupancy Permit.

Occupancy Permit

An Residential Occupancy Permit (PDF) or a Commercial Occupancy Permit (PDF) must be obtained by the new occupant prior to closing and occupying the property. The Occupancy Permit fee is $25 minimum for 2500 Sq Feet or Less. The Occupancy Permit Application may be downloaded and filled out prior to bringing it to City Hall for permit issuance. View our Inspection Brochure (PDF) for more information on Residential Occupancy Inspections & Permits.